We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
A sea moss smoothie helps support a healthy immune system, offers tons of nutritional value, and keeps you feeling good throughout the whole day. It’s the perfect choice of food for first thing in the morning!Jump to Recipe
Sea moss is a unique superfood with tons of potential benefits such as boosting metabolism, controlling appetite, and improving thyroid function. Sea moss is high in many critical nutrients and essential minerals while still being low in fat and calories.
Try my twist on a Blueberry Almond Sea Moss Smoothie!
Below you’ll find one of the best and tastiest sea moss smoothie recipes for getting this special ingredient into your diet. This dairy-free smoothie will help support a healthy immune system while making you feel good throughout the whole day. Start your day with this smoothie, or try it as an energizing post-workout snack!
See Also: Best Containers for Smoothies On The Go
Try Sea Moss Gel In Your Sea Moss Smoothie
Sea moss gel might be the best way to seamlessly blend sea moss into any drink or recipe. The gel adds nutrition to plant-based recipes and smoothies that need a little boost and doesn’t have a strong taste.
Sea moss is a type of algae that grows along Atlantic coasts. It is also known as Red Seaweed, Irish sea moss, and Irish moss. It’s typically harvested from rocks in North America, parts of Europe, and the British Isles.
Sea moss is also popular on Caribbean islands like St. Lucia, Jamaica, and other nearby nations. The sea moss grown in tropical locations is often much redder in color and found in tide pools.
Sea moss is sometimes used for its thickening properties in foods like ice cream, yogurts, and baby formulas, but people are also taking notice of the gel’s many potential health benefits.
Health Benefits Of Sea Moss Gel
Sea moss gel comes with tons of health benefits. Currently, more research exists on regular seaweed than on sea moss, and experts agree that more still research is needed. However, most of the benefits from regular seaweed likely transfer to sea moss.
Sea moss has been a part of natural medicines since ancient times, so I believe (a non-medical opinion!) that there’s merit to its health benefits. Read more about the history of sea moss here.
Seaweeds are a great source of essential minerals, vitamins, fiber, protein, amino acids, and more. And did you know that sea moss contains 92 of the 102 minerals the human body needs?
Simply add a few tablespoons of sea moss gel to other tasty ingredients to make a delicious and nutritious smoothie recipe. Check out: Must Have Ingredients for Your Smoothie Pantry
Why eat Sea Moss?
- Improved Immune System: Sea moss can help support your immune system thanks to its antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. The high fiber levels contribute to good gut health, which is directly related to overall health and immunity. The high potassium levels in sea moss can also help you recover from sickness more quickly.
- Improved Thyroid Health: The most notable nutritional benefit of sea moss may be its high levels of iodine. Since iodine is directly related to thyroid health, it is needed to help regulate hormones. If you have an underactive thyroid, then it can cause weight gain, decreased energy levels, and even depression. If you have some of these symptoms, then consider introducing sea moss into your daily diet to boost thyroid function.
- Supported Gut Health: The fiber and probiotics (live bacteria) found in sea moss are great for regulating digestive gut health. Probiotics can help balance out bacteria in your stomach to help with conditions like IBS, IBD, and other digestive issues.
- Weight Loss Support: Sea moss is low in calories, fat, and sugar, making it a no-guilt addition to smoothie recipes. Woo hoo! It can also keep you feeling full longer, which can curb cravings and help you maintain a successful weight loss strategy. See also – Avocado Smoothie Recipes for Weight Loss
- Improved Heart and Brain Health: The high fiber content in sea moss gel may help lower LDL cholesterol. LDL is the “bad cholesterol” that builds up and increases your risk of heart disease or stroke. The copper found in sea moss can also help with certain heart diseases.
Is Sea Moss Bad For You?
So, it’s clear sea moss has a lot of health benefits! However, eating too much sea moss is not good for you.
Make sure when taking supplements that you aren’t consuming too much iodine, which can negatively affect your health. Check with your doctor if this may be a concern.
Blueberry Almond Sea Moss Smoothie
- 1 Blender
- 2 tablespoons hydrated sea moss or sea moss gel
- 2 cups blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1 small or medium banana peeled
- 2 dates soaked & pitted
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 cup almond milk
- Slice and pit the dates. Add them into a bowl of warm water for 5 minutes (soak them a bit longer if they are old or need additional hydrating).
- Add the dates remaining ingredients into a high speed blender.
- Blend at medium to high speed for one minute or until all ingredients are thoroughly blended together.
- Serve in glasses and top with berries or almonds, if desired
- Feel free to skip the dates and add in a natural sweetener of your choice. You can get that same natural sweetness from honey, pure maple syrup, or agave.
- You can substitute the non-dairy milk options for regular milk or coconut water if you prefer.
- If one cup of milk is not enough, feel free to add more until you reach the desired consistency.
- If you need to store your sea moss drink overnight, then add a tablespoon or two of lime juice. This also adds a pop of freshness. See also: How Long A Fruit Smoothie Lasts in the Fridge
- If you’re feeling inspired in the Fall season, try Pumpkin Spice Sea Moss Gel. Yes, that’s right, they make pumpkin spice sea moss! Swap out the berries in this recipe for a cup of pumpkin puree and a dash of vanilla. Now you’re ready to get your Fall on!
How Long Does it Take For A Sea Moss Smoothie to Start Working in Your Body?
To feel obvious results, it usually takes three to six weeks, but some people claim they feel an improvement in energy and bodily and mental health within a few days.
If you’re looking for an easy way to add some nutrition to your life, then try a delicious sea moss recipe today!
This post may include affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission if you make purchases from the links. This comes at no extra cost to you!